Thursday, April 7, 2016

6 Times Jennifer Lawrence Took a Stand on Body Positivity

jennifer lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence takes home Oscars and heavy-hitting roles for her chameleonic abilities as an actress—its really no wonder she was cast as the X-Men series’ resident shape-shifting Mystique. But when it comes to her own physical form, in an interview released today, Lawrence suggested that she has no plans of changing the way she looks. Instead, she has hopes that society will shift its perspective.

“I would like us to make a new normal-body type,” she said. “Everybody says, ‘We love that there is somebody with a normal body!’ And I’m like, ‘I don’t feel like I have a normal body . . . I do Pilates every day. I eat, but I work out a lot more than a normal person. I think we’ve gotten so used to underweight that when you are a normal weight it’s like, ‘Oh, my God, she’s curvy.’ Which is crazy.”

Lawrence’s latest stand for a healthier definition of “normal” echoes a sentiment the actress has been open about for years, famously laughing at the idea of dieting and stating repeatedly that she will gladly work out and train for a role to become fit and strong, but never to whittle down her weight. Here, a look back on the actress’s most powerful takes on body positivity.

On Embracing a Diet-Free Life
“You have to look past it—you look how you look, and be comfortable. What are you going to do? Be hungry every single day to make other people happy? That’s just dumb.”

On Changing the Way We Look at Each Other
“Shows like the Fashion Police and things like that are just showing these generations of young people to judge people based on all the things that are wrong, and that it’s okay to just point at people and call them ugly and call them fat. They call it ‘fun’ and welcome to the ‘real world,’ and that shouldn’t be the real world. That’s going to keep being the real world if we keep it that way.”

On Why Strong Is the New Skinny
“I’m never going to starve myself for a part . . . I don’t want little girls to be like, ‘Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong—not thin and underfed.”

On Rejecting the Body Image Status Quo
“I’m a woman that’s living in this world of everybody telling everyone how they should look and what they should be eating and how people can lose this much weight this fast,  and it just kind of overwhelms our senses. If I could just make the tiniest bit of difference in getting rid of that because it is so annoying, I would love that.”

On Outlawing the Word Fat
“Why is humiliating people funny? . . . I think it should be illegal to call somebody ‘fat’ on TV. If we’re regulating cigarettes and sex and cusswords because of the effect that it has on our younger generation, then why aren’t we regulating things like calling people ‘fat’?”

 

The post 6 Times Jennifer Lawrence Took a Stand on Body Positivity appeared first on Vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment